08. Pastoral staff or crosier
Collection : ArchidiocÃƒÂ¨se de QuÃƒÂ©bec / Archdiocese of Quebec
Omer Parent (1907 QuÃƒÂ©bec Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 2000 Sillery) Gilles Beaugrand (1906 MontrÃƒÂ©al Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 2005 Laval)
Galvanized silver ivory
The pastoral staff or crosier is a tall staff curved at its end or topped with a crook called a volute often situated above a knob. The pastoral staff can be dismantled into four pieces if it needs to be transported. It is carried as a sign of dignity by a bishop (Episcopal cross) or by an abbot (abbotÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s cross). This staff or crosier is designed by Omer Parent the ivory sculpture is by Gilles Beaugrand and the staff is made by Galvanoplastie canadienne (QuÃƒÂ©bec).
This pastoral staff belonged to Mgr Maurice Roy (1905 QuÃƒÂ©bec -1985 QuÃƒÂ©bec). Maurice Roy was ordained as priest in 1927. Three years later he taught at the Faculty of Theology at Laval University. During the Second World War he accompanied the Royal 22nd Regiment to Europe as chaplain for the Canadian army. On his return home he was appointed bishop of Trois-RiviÃƒÂ¨res in 1946 then archbishop of QuÃƒÂ©bec in 1947 and Primate of Canada in 1956. He played an active role in the Second Vatican Council as a member of the Doctrine Commission. Maurice Roy was promoted to the rank of Cardinal in 1965 and named a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1971.
Omer Parent studied at the Ãƒâ€°cole des beaux-arts de QuÃƒÂ©bec. In 1926 he discovered modern art during an educational trip to Paris. In his work he experimented with the various artistic movements of the 20th century. A professor for several years at the Ãƒâ€°cole des beaux-arts de QuÃƒÂ©bec he became the first director of the Ãƒâ€°cole des arts visuels at Laval University in the early 1970s. In 1972 he received the Order of Canada for his contribution to the field of visual arts.
Gilles Beaugrand is a highly respected silversmith known throughout North America for the elegance and originality of his creations. He founded his studio in 1932 and has earned many distinctions both in North America and Europe. In 1983 he joined the Desmarais & Robitaille studio. Works of art bearing the Gilles Beaugrand signature are found in many museum collections including that of the Vatican.